Nancy Contreras-Alejandre's 4th Post (Adler Planetarium- Chicago, IL)


Hello All!

It is amazing how quickly this four-week internship has been going by! Still, I am glad that I had the chance to learn from a variety of individuals and professionals, and that I have had the chance to explore various topics and fields. During this week, the other teen interns and I had the chance to hear from a panel of professionals that varied in fields from software developers to environmental scientists. Hearing from these different experiences allowed me to understand that everyone has their own definition of success and that everyone paves their own path towards that success. The following day I continued to work on the Mars project. During this time, I explored currently existing 3-D photographs of Mars’s surface and began to learn how to utilize the interactive software known as Open Space. Such a surreal experience allowed me to explore some of Space’s wonders from Earth. The continued development of software such as this one thrills me to know that such information about what we now consider to be the “mysterious outer space” will one day be accessible to most people! In addition, I continued to work on the historic documents project at the Adler Planetarium’s history of astronomy Webster Institute. This project has allowed me to view the importance of processing since each individual artifact has its own line of history and travel dating all the way to today. Finally, I had the chance to be a part of a combined staff meeting consisting of the Adler’s Astronomy, History of Astronomy, Design, and Financing teams. During this meeting, we discussed logistics for financing and events such as the public viewing of this year’s solar eclipse that the Adler will be hosting. Additionally, we reviewed the Adler’s source of donations and use of revenue. This was especially interesting because while discussing the different groups and generations which donate to the Adler, we also discussed the different approaches of communication that must be given to each group. This highlights the importance of social flexibility which is necessary for almost any field or form of communication.
In all, I can confidently say that the Smithsonian Young Ambassador’s Program (YAP) gave me a spectacular opportunity to learn new skills in order to prepare me for the challenges that college will have to offer. Not only that, but YAP allowed me to learn much more about myself during Washington Week and this internship. I hope the other YAP members have also had an amazing time throughout the program, and as was said during Washington Week, this isn't a goodbye. It is simply a “see you soon!”

This is how the Adler looks upon entering the
sky-show theatres. 
This is the Adler's Space Visualization
Lab where the public can view presentations
from the Adler's Astronomers for free.
Here the teen interns and I were introduced to
the area where the Adler's sky shows are designed
as a reference for the Mars project.
Each intern had the opportunity to learn from
Astronomer Mark SubbaRao how to navigate Open Space.




Con CariƱo,
Nancy Contreras-Alejandre

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #5, Daniela Talamantes Martinez, SAMA

Week #2 - Ariela Algaze

TBH Final Blog