Week #2 - Ariela Algaze

This has been, to say the very least, one of the most eventful weeks of my life. Over the past week, I have: 
- Held a 1603 edition of Shakespeare's sonnets in my hands (at the Folger Shakespeare Library)
- Gotten trapped for two hours in the rain (not. fun.)
- Seen a painting so marvelous I burst into tears (a Rembrandt self portrait at the National Gallery of Art)
- Dealt with the horror that is the DC Metro system (So many broken elevators!)
- Had the best milkshake of my life
- Talked with the legal director of the ACLU
- Thoroughly enjoyed (but not participated in) a spoken word open mic night

Of course, none of that has to do with my internship. I just wanted to share my week with y'all.

The past week at the NPG has been pretty calm. The kids I am working with as part of the Portraits Alive! program had their first sets of performances this week -- eight tours in total. My days have mostly consisted in providing support services for them: helping with crowd control, putting together the programs, acting coaching, giving memorization tips, helping with last-minute edits. Like any public performance, some of the Portraits Alive! tours have been enlightening, well-paced, and well-acted; others still have been a disaster. I suppose it's the nature of the beast.

Next week is museum week, where we'll be talking with museum professionals and visiting other Smithsonian museums in the afternoons. Sounds a lot like YAP Washington Week...I couldn't be more excited.

Comments

  1. Hey Ariela, I understand you, I am getting used to Miami's Metro system hahaha! How is your housing going btw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm honestly loving it! The nuns are all super sweet and adorable, I want them to be my honorary abuelitas. Living in a convent has been a little out of my comfort zone at times, but it's been such a good experience I wouldn't trade it for anything.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #5, Daniela Talamantes Martinez, SAMA

TBH Final Blog