Ariela Algaze - Week 5

...and that's a wrap, folks!

Today was the last day of my internship at the National Portrait Gallery. I think it hit me on Thursday that I'm really going to miss this place -- not just the NPG itself, but also the kids I worked with and Washington DC in general. This month and a half has probably been at once the most interesting and enjoyable of my life.

This week was filled with tours and performances -- ten throughout the week, to be exact. I portrayed Christopher Reeve in our Portraits Alive! tour and spoke with audiences from across the city and even the country. Some tours were better attended than others, and I tried to engage the audience as much as possible. For the younger audience members, the tours taught them something entirely new. For the older audiences, the tours of the Struggle for Justice exhibition served as a trip down memory lane. Our aim was to make history come to life, and I think we certainly succeeded.

I also was able to talk with TaĆ­na Caragol, the curator who we met during Washington Week. In an hour-long conversation, I was able to ask about her career path, what she does on a daily basis, and her experience as a Latina in the field. As someone who is thinking about museums and art history as a potential career path, it was really illuminating to establish connections with a mentor in the field and hear about the good, the bad, and the ugly of her experience.

Here are a couple of pictures. I'll be receiving some more later on and will upload them then with a general YAP experience reflection.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #5, Daniela Talamantes Martinez, SAMA

Week #2 - Ariela Algaze