Alezandro's Blog Post #4

Hi Ambassadors,

This week has been more than eventful, as I have been in meetings, served as a museum tour guide, and completed the Story Time event with my local library. On Monday, I was able to read “Drum Dream Girl” to sixteen kids and their parents at the Denver Public Library Corky Gonzales Branch. That day was my first time at that specific library, and I was happy to bring my nieces and nephew and encourage them to become familiar with checking out books. The Story Time itself went smoothly, although I unfortunately was not able to partner with an alumni to host the event. The children at the Story Time event were engaged and invested in the storyline, and they were excited to create their own drums. Included below are some of the pictures taken during the Story Time reading and the following drum activity.

I’ve come to learn that on any given day at any given time, I may have to drop what I’m doing to attend a spontaneous meeting. One of those meetings I had this week was called Spectrum of Advocacy, and was centered around how best to engage youth during guided tours of El Movimiento. This meeting was very informative as we discussed what service means to us, and what are ways to creatively encourage youth to become invested in their communities.

As my internship is coming to an end, I have applied to a Curatorial/Research position at Pomona College Museum of Art for the upcoming school year. Much of my work here at History Colorado has been around educational outreach and developing activities for youth, so I’m excited to venture into the curatorial aspect of museum work. I’ll let you all know if I get the internship!

Con saludos,

Alezandro

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #5, Daniela Talamantes Martinez, SAMA

Week #2 - Ariela Algaze