Blog #4 Daniela Talamantes Martinez: SAMA



Hello everyone!

It is crazy to think that I only have one more week at the San Antonio Museum of Art; this Friday wrapped up the last of the summer children's art programs, this week being "Heroes, Monsters, and Mythological Creatures." I was able to experience helping an older age group (8-10) than last week. And with an older age group, comes new difficulties, and new rewards. It was a pleasure to assist a different educator, as I was able to explore different teaching methods with engaging young students.

This week I also wrapped up my small project for the August 6th Family Day, which was making props for the "Selfie Station." I took different objects from around the museum such as a woman's tilted fedora from the American Gallery, and the elaborate Lokapala headdress from the Chinese Gallery, and created props on a stick (pictured below). Creating these props was a fun and creative outlet for me as I retired each day at 3 from assisting the energy-packed day camps. Now that I have finished prepping for Family Day, I will continue to prepare my presentation of an object that speaks to me from the museum. I will, next Thursday, discuss my favorite sculpture, "Enamoramiento," by Jose Luis Rivera-Barrera. I will connect it to Klimpt's painting, "The Kiss," and display my demo art project to the SAMA educators, including my supervisor. This presentation is meant to be informal, a contrast to our Young Ambassadors "final project" presentation.

In addition to this final presentation, my supervisor has created a new project for me: creating a Spotify playlist for pieces around the museum, particularly those in the Latino Contemporary, and Folk Art Gallery. Essentially, I will draw connections between certain visual arts pieces to traditional Latino/a music, or a contemporary, surprising variation. The purpose of this exploration between different mediums is to allow a future museum visitor to download these certain selected songs, that will draw certain perspectives, sometimes unexpected, to the particular art piece. I think this is an interesting way to tour and explore the museum, and I am excited to see what connections I find between music and paintings.

Till next week,

Daniela Talamantes Martinez

(Here are the selfie sticks I created for the selfie booth for the upcoming Family Day)


(Here are some of the projects that were displayed in the studio for the end of week art show)


(Here is the set up for the shadow puppet show that the campers put on)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #5, Daniela Talamantes Martinez, SAMA

Week #2 - Ariela Algaze