Jennifer Collao, Cooper Hewitt, Fourth Blog Post

Hey guys,

Last week was fashion week! I thought fashion week would be a bit more popular than the other programs we've hosted, but to my surprise it wasn't. Only about eighteen teens came, compared to our thirty kids last time. It's okay though because we had such amazing garments made this week. Most people say they're into fashion because they like to dress themselves up, that's why this week my boss has made it her mission to change that way of thought. She invited a woman from a company called Slow Factory. Her mission statement is to make garments through a slow production method in order to help the environment. Most of our clothing is made from polyester which is created by oil. That means it can never be fully destroyed, also most of the clothing we donate to Good Will ends up being dumped with the other huge piles of clothing in Africa, I believe. Cotton is also not the best alternative for polyester because it take a huge amount of water to make one shirt from cotton. Most of the clothing produced in Slow Factory is created by recycled cotton, which is made with zero percent water. Although, the transition and hunt for these types of clothing is hard it'll be better for our environment in the long run. Later on in the week we went to visit a fashion studio that helps support local businesses. It was a great experience to be around designers and get to see their unfinished work.

Sadly, next week is my last week. It's a bitter sweet moment because I absolutely love my work and the people I work with, but I also can't wait to start college. I hope everyone else is doing well, and until next time...

- Jen





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #5, Daniela Talamantes Martinez, SAMA

Week #2 - Ariela Algaze