Maria Morales (HistoryMiami) "Un día difícil"

        Today is one of those days... (07/21/17)

   Growing up is not easy, uh? Today I freaking cried when the train closed its doors right In front of my face giving me as a gift the shameful situation of being 40 minutes late for work. Do you all remember when we were younger and our parents would wake us up to make sure we would be on time for school? For myself, personally I am a person who is got problems calculating time, which results in late appointments or making it "right on time". It's been few those the moments in which I personally make it 10 minutes or five before the punctual time.

   I would always have my parents to remind me of time and to tell me how late would I make it if I did not hurried up. Even having them as a huge help, I would make it on time just if I was lucky enough to not have a bad day with delays out of my control on the way. Yes, having parents who care about you and own a car is a huge help! But what about when your parents are not there anymore? What about when all your day depends on your ability to handle time and to be strong enough to don't wanna sleep "five minutes more"?  During the beginning of my intership I made it in time all the days my mother would take me there in her car and being aware of time. She really wanted me to be on time, so she pushed me a lot. Similar as how the  alumni crew did with us in Washington Week making sure we all were awake and dressing up to be ready and on time for the day to come. We might have not realized, but for those of us who would normally rely in someone like our parents or anyone to make it on time, we really have to be thankful because they have been a huge help.

   Now, when my mom left and went back to our home city in Tampa (about five hours away), I was all by myself and by the tools the city of Miami might provide to its citizens and tourists. I had no one checking on me to make sure I would make it on time, I had no car and now, I rely on the public transportation of the city I am temporaly living in.  All of this obstacles would definitely make it harder to be on time.

  Many of us will be living in a University housing away from home next fall. Some of us do probably live alone already. I'm sure that some of us have already memorized the routes and tricks of the public transportation of their respective city to get to class or maybe some will be getting a car or bike to go places. The point is that we already are or we are about to be, the complete responsible of our images and of our punctuality. Yes guys, we are "adulting" and it is a huge process which takes a lot of time management and responsibility to do it well. Having this experience of being by myself in a Wild city as is Miami for doing the intership, has thought me a lot of lessons. Yes, it is awesome to have this adventure of being alone and brave to explore the jungle of an unknown city, but when it comes to working and having to follow a schedule it takes so much more.

   I'm writing this as a reflection. I feel like it is important to share the hard times as well. It definitely was a challenge getting alone with the public transportation of Miami. This teaches me that I have to calculate time with at least 30 minutes of anticipation because unexpected things happens. Let me continue the anecdote of the introduction: so I arrived to the station 8 minutes before the train would depart -about enough time to quickly buy a ticket-. Turns out the machine was not accepting credit cards... I was so stressed out finding an ATM to get cash for buying my ticket and run back to my train. While I was running with my "Dora's backpack" I saw the train slowly going away. The next train would depart in 20 minutes and would take 35 more minutes to get to the Museum. I was so ashamed to call my supervisor, but I had to do it. To be honest, I first called my mom for advise. "You have to call and explain your situation right now" so I did. I finally made it to the museum and had a very encouraging talk from my supervisor which made me feel better after all. (Friday 21st of July)

I hope sharing this moment was useful for some of you! Good luck everyone, and be careful while managing your time next fall and in life ❤️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #5, Daniela Talamantes Martinez, SAMA

Week #2 - Ariela Algaze