Natalie Juarez, Blog 4


Hey guys

 Today was my last day working with the students in the summer program in the Mexican Art Museum. This week was also the start of a new program. This program concentrates in younger youth and is much shorter than the past program, bringing forth change to my schedule and tasks. The program runs for 2 hours meaning I had more time to spend in the office. I got to interact with the faculty, and get to know them in a deeper level. I am so happy I got the opportunity to speak to such wonderful individuals. Knowing that they found a home in education and are creating a path for students to learn about their culture and have a place to explore and grow brings me so much happiness. I am extremely thankful for my opportunity to work with an incredible staff and great kids. This summer has been unforgettable and I'm looking forward to coming back to interact with the students in the future. That being said I want to tell you about my week working with younger students.

This week the students had various art activities and got to know one another. They were introduced 



to the book Pelitos/Hairs by Sandra Cisneros and had to create an image of themselves. The students also had an activity using the book Frida by Jonah Winter, which provides the students with a small biography of Frida Kahlo and her art. The students did a self portrait and learned about the expression of feelings through art. A concept that I thought would be challenging for them but they showed to completely grasp it. They also spoke of yoga and other activities that they use or could potentially use to control or express their emotions.
In today's class the students learned about Cesar A. Martinez and alebrijes. Alebrijes are make-believe animals that have different characteristics of various animals, forming one fantasy animal. The students made an alebrije using animals they liked or as many random animals they could think of. During this activity I remember talking to one of the students about her favorite animals and how she liked going to the zoo to see them. Another students came up to me and showed me his alebrije and was extremely proud of it he said he had made his favorite animal. He said he couldn't decide what animal was his favorite and the alebrije included all of them, which melted my heart.

I am so happy I got to work in the Mexican Art Museum and can't believe four weeks have passed by. I will be stopping by from time to time to catch up with the students since many of the students will be coming back next summer and I can't wait to hear about their school year. I completely fell in love with the students and faculty and I'm so happy I had the opportunity to work with them. Many of the faculty members come from the same background as me and inspire
me to keep working with the community. I am also very thankful for my contact Paula, she was always extremely kind and gave me amazing advice and motivation. The YAP gave me resources and motivation, I found that support in the museum as well and I am extremely grateful. Thank you for the opportunity to work in such a beautiful environment, surrounded by wonderful people with golden intentions and fearless mindsets. Now I truly stopped believing in limits and can't wait to see what the future holds both for me and for everyone I've meet through the internship.

*By the way, all the parents signed a waiver allowing me to take pictures of their children.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #5, Daniela Talamantes Martinez, SAMA

Week #2 - Ariela Algaze