Jennifer Collao, Cooper Hewitt, Third Blog Post

Hey guys,

As I think I've described to you guys in my last post I work with Design Prep that hosts four different weeklong program for the summer. This week was architecture week and it wasn't as horrible as I thought it was going to be. In my eyes I see architecture as a more technique oriented type of line when it come to  design, so I was afraid that the teens would come up to me for help I wouldn't be able to provide them with good advice. I learned that just asking a bunch of questions and letting them figure it out for themselves is honestly the best way. They know more than they think they do and in the end of the day they didn't really need me. The teens main project this week was to create a better space for the Copper Hewitt garden, which believe me has a few garden. One of the most obvious problem is that no one wants to sit on the grass because it is always some type of wet. This makes the space less inviting and little room for New Yorkers to wander around. Another problem is that there is no stage for the Copper Hewitt's weekly Thursday garden cocktail party. The museum always invite artist to play, but the concert is not always interactive because of the lack of stage. The teens mostly focused on solving the problem of the stage. Most of them started of building a dome and then those basic ideas blossomed in to inspired Colosseum structures, and checkerboard stages. They made prototypes and final drawings in order to present by the end of the week. All of it was pretty exciting, seeing the kids take a simple idea and just run with it. Every week we get new teens and it always makes me a bit sad because by the end of the week I bond with a lot of the teens that don't return for another program. But, next week is finally fashion week and I'm so excited to see what amazing garments these kids make. Until next time my friends.

- Jen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #5, Daniela Talamantes Martinez, SAMA

Week #2 - Ariela Algaze

TBH Final Blog